As 2014 draws to a close, it's pretty clear that this was a transitional year in gaming. Some of the best titles on the new platforms are old titles - classic games that either stood the test of time and deserved a coat of new-gen polish, or late-life PS3/360 games that were welcome additions to our PS4/One libraries - but thank goodness, 2014 also has some genuine gems that my collection would feel much poorer without.
As per usual, consideration for the internet's greatest honor is limited to games that I played in the past year. Sorry, Mario Kart 8, you're not in the running.
Such is life.
In the coming days and weeks, you'll be able to return to this page as the features for this year's deliberations come together - it'll be your one-stop-shop for Game of the Year proceedings on this humble blog.
Now, what games are up for consideration? Well, the list ain't short. Where possible, each title below will link to its review or associate game diaries. These are the games of 2014.
- Alien: Isolation
- Assassin's Creed Unity*
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- Child of Light
- Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
- Far Cry 4
- Grand Theft Auto V**
- Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
- inFamous: First Light
- inFamous: Second Son
- Mercenary Kings**
- Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch
- Road Not Taken**
- Secret Ponchos
- The Evil Within**
- The Last of Us Remastered**
- Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
- Watch Dogs
- Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom*
- Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
- Borderlands 2
- Dead Nation
- Don't Starve: Giant Edition
- Genroku Legends (1) (2) (3) (4)
- God of War Collection
- Olli Olli
- Pix the Cat**
- Ratchet & Clank HD Collection
- Rogue Legacy
- Starlight Inception
- The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth**
- The Sly Trilogy
- Velocity 2X
- Battle Princess of Arcadias*
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
- Dark Souls II
- Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns*
- South Park: The Stick of Truth
- The Last of Us: Left Behind
*didn't finish and won't finish, 'cause it was boring and/or sucked.
**didn't finish and probably will, cause it was kinda and/or pretty awesome.